I ordered this service for my mother who has a landline through Sprint. At first it worked wonderfully. While she never had an emergency, she would test the system monthly and it worked great. Then, Lifefone sent a letter saying they had had some problems within their system and were mailing out something that would rectify the problem. When we got the new pendant that would supposedly rectify the situation, our LIfefone no longer worked. Despite several calls over a period of three months (my mother, my sister, a friend, a nephew), we could not get the system to work. We were told we weren't programming it correctly despite following their instructions to a tee. And, because I had ordered it, Lifefone wouldn't cancel the service and refund my pre-payment until I was there to troubleshoot with them. Finally, I was able to get to my mom's house to call Lifefone. We troubleshot the system for 1 1/2 hours with no success at which point they said they would send a new system. They sent the new system. Still, it didn't work. Again, on the phone with Lifefone for over an hour again troubleshooting. Finally, they said, it was not their system but that something had changed in the phone line. Now, nothing had changed in the phone line. We still had the same phone equipment as we originally had when the Lifefone worked. They offered that I could upgrade to the 3g system for an additional charge of $6 a month. Why hadn't they offered this 3 months ago when we originally called? Or a week ago before they sent out the new system?? But, I was willing to upgrade. However, I asked if they would pro-rate the months that it wasn't working and we'd tried with them to get it to work. They will unwilling to do that. Now, by this time, we'd all spent a total of about 10 hours over the course of 3 months trying to get this to work only to be told we needed to upgrade at an additional cost with no apology as to the fact that this hasn't worked for now 3 months, no apology as to not offering us this option 3 months ago when we first reported it wasn't working. and no flexibility as to offering us a discount for the time it didn't work, for our time and trouble, or just as good customer service practice. So, when Lifefone worked it worked well. When they upgraded something, and it no longer worked, they wouldn't take responsibility for it. I've cancelled the service, mailed it back to them (at my own expense--they wouldn't even provide a shipping label) and have found a system that will work.
Bottom line: When it works, it works well. When it doesn't work, you're on your own.